Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
June 21, 2018, 11:55:10 PM
8,794 Posts in 2,343 Topics by 310 Members
Latest Member: fennelwink
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Rhiana Griffith Fan Club | Message Board
|-+  Rhiana Griffith
| |-+  News and Discussion (Moderator: Ardath Rekha)
| | |-+  Rhiana's Archibald Prize Sitting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rhiana's Archibald Prize Sitting  (Read 5178 times)
grrrrrl
Administrator

« on: March 05, 2004, 06:52:00 PM »

From Vin Diesel to easel
Author: according to Michael Gadd & Andrew Waugh
Date: 05/03/2004
Words: 297
Source: NCH                   
Publication: Newcastle Herald
Section: News
Page: 12

FOR the artist, it's a joy, a dream and lots of fun.

For the subject, it's exciting, a tad strange, but extremely fulfilling.

The Word first caught up with renowned actress/artist Rhiana Griffiths the subject yesterday and asked her about the differences between seeing herself on the big screen (she starred in the Vin Diesel flick Pitch Black) and in a painting (right) that will contest this year's coveted Archibald Prize.

We then managed to grab a few minutes with the artist, Tighes Hill Gallery co-director Robyn Stanton-Werkhoven, (above left) who's getting ready to start crossing her fingers and toes while her work is judged.
Griffiths, however, was first cab off the rank.

"It's definitely fulfilling and satisfies me on a different level [than movies]," Griffiths said.

"It's just as exciting ... I'm into it as much as the movies."
Griffiths said her "sittings", where the artist often sketches the subject in their own environment, were "more like photo shoots".
"Robyn likes to take some photos in different positions, to get different angles, and then use those," Griffiths said.

An hour or so later, it was time for Stanton-Werkhoven to give her version of events.

"This is the third [Archibald] submission I've made ... it's just about finished and I'm pretty happy with it," she said.

Stanton-Werkhoven, a modern figurative painter who admits to being occasionally influenced by legendary Mexican artist Frida Kahlo "but not in this work" said choosing Griffiths was not difficult.

"Rhiana's very attractive and has achieved so much for a person of her age,"she said.

The Archibald entries will be delivered to the Art Gallery of New South Wales next week with the winner to be announced on Friday, March 26 at high noon.

I so wish that f2 site would publish the photos to the site as well!  Is there anyone who might be able to track down a paper copy?  Pretty please?

AA
Ardath Rekha
Your Nefarious Webmistress
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 06:58:15 PM »

Wheeee!  Talk about a spectacular birthday present to see!

Now we just need to get a hold of a copy with the picture, I'm dying to see what the portrait looks like.

Rhifan, are you there? Smiley  Can you scan us a copy?

::Bouncing with crossed fingers!::
StvnsAngel
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 01:50:28 PM »

Wheeeeee! ::snuggles the wonderful grrrrrl:: Thank you for posting that!

This is just fantastic, heeee! ::Bounce!::

(And I just noticed you got the icon up here, grrrrrl, hehehe! Tis very cool! Smiley)

Proud member of the Nocturnal Club!

"The way I see it, life is a jelly doughnut. You don't really know what it's about until you bite into it. And then, just when you decide it's good, you drop a big glob of jelly on your best T-shirt."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register